Wednesday, January 13, 2010
Courtney McClean and the Dirty Curls, The Knotwells and Black Audience at the 501 Club - very fun, excellent crowd for a Tuesday. These bands garnered new followers and people wishing for their CDs. I'll keep you posted.
Saltee at Barbette Monday night. They are members of Jelloslave (Jacqueline and Michele on cellos, Gary on Tablas) plus Mike Michel (Bill Mike) on a beautiful old (Fender?) electric guitar and Carnage, beatboxing. Their songs are mesmerizing, transcendental, pulsing, driving and seamlessly flowing various musical genres at their skilled fingertips. I didn't want the music to end. Next performance, and new CD possibly in Mar/April. Keep an eye out for Barbette music on Mondays and Thursdays - following them on Twitter helps.
ARCWELDER and Gay Witch Abortion a week ago at the Turf Club. Really great show. Hardcore and really tight, creative stuff. Fantastic crowd.
THINGS I LOOK FORWARD TO:
• Art Shanties opens this Saturday!!! I'm really looking forward to: Art Swap Shanty (Julie and Scott Kesti live downstreet from me!), Black Bania Shanty, (poetry and comedy above by Mary Mack, Paul D. Laura Brandenburg and Steph Wilbur Ashe on top/sauna inside - bring a swimsuit), Reclamation Art Shanty, ArtPost Shanty (send postcards to your sweetie from the frozen lake!) and more.
• After your toes are froze from the lake, warm up by dancing to the Can Kickers "old-timey riot music for dancin'" and The Knotwells at the Hexagon, Saturday night!
• Jen Markey's CD Release Party Turf Club Jan. 23. She performs at Palmer's 2nd Thursdays.
• Chooglin' residency at Palmer's latenight, the first 3 Saturdays in February!!!
These are but a few, but I'll try to keep people posted more, due to numerous requests beyond my Thursday morning Dakota Dave Hull Show calendar at 10 a.m.
New links I love:
• WFMU's Beware of the Blog (yes, still. Biggest, funnest time-waster in the Universe)
• Cook to Bang Blog: Recipes to get you laid, and they look pretty good, too. "Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon." - The Dalai Lama
• Cooking with Jocinda - a friend's food experiences and recipes. Fun!
• Arts Communique blog, Sheila Regan's blog on art and performance
Cyn’s Picks for the Week Jan. 14 - 20:
Thursday, Jan. 14 :
• Skinny Longfeet, Tuesdays Robot and STOOK! At the 501 Club at 9:30
• St. Dominic’s Trio at the 331 Club at 9:30 p.m.
• Angie Oase (referred to as Lennon/Dylans lovechild) plays Barbette @10
Friday, Jan. 15:
• Front Porch Swingin’ Liquor Pigs at their usual Palmer’s show 7 – 10 p.m.
• Too Many Banjos, the Brass Kings and Tennesota Brothers @ 501 Club at 10 p.m.
• Kevin Anthony CD Release Party, with Glen Hanson @ the 331 Club
• The Rural Alberta Advantage with Dark Dark Dark at the Cedar show is SOLD OUT but will play Dark Dark Dark for you here.
Sat. Jan. 16:
• The Rockford Mules with Dragons Power Up at the 331 Club at 10
• Romantica, Brett Tyler, Farewell Milwaukee and Western Fifth at the Turf Club @ 10
• Paragraphs (EP Release Show), Canyons of Static and To Kill a Petty Bourgeoisie at the 501 Club at 10 p.m.
• Pert Near Sandstone with Spider John Koerner at the Cedar @ 8
• Flavor Crystals, The Chambermaids, Red Pens and Gospel Gossip at Sauce at 10.
• Poor Weather Club, The Cankickers, old-timey punk from Connecticutt, with the Knotwells at the Hexagon
Sunday Jan. 17:
• Cadillac vs. Cornbread at Palmers Bar 8 till late
Monday, Jan. 18:
• Pocahontas County at the 331 Club at 6:30 p.m. followed by Roe Family Singers performing their fun Mondays 9 – 11 at the 331 Club
! Tuesday, Jan. 1`9:
• Tuesday Conspiracy Series at the 331 Club with Brianna Lane at 9:30 p.m.
Weds., Jan. 20:
• Mike Elias is spinning Funk and Soul at Rosen’s Grill DT on Wednesdays from 8 – midnite!
• Painted Saints, Brad Senne at the Bedlam Theatre at 10
• KFAI House Party presents: Reverend Deadeye from 7 -9 followed by Jake Manders at 9:30