Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Wailin' Elroys tonite at Lee's Liquor Lounge

Last night I was driving to the Turf Club from the great Get Up Johns show at the 331 Club (which also featured a couple guys who did great old country covers), and thinking how I really wanted to hear some good ol' honky tonk stringband music, in kind of a juke joint environment. I had no idea my wish would come true that same night as The Wailin' Elroys from Athens, Ohio played. I really enjoyed this fun band, with a terrific fiddler, who were doing something similar in structure to the Onion Creek Crawdaddies from Austin, Texas who I saw at the Rodeo Bar in NYC.

The Wailin' Elroys are playing again tonight at Lee's, and I highly recommend this show, as there isn't really anything like them in town that I can think of. They describe themselves as Hillbilly/Rockabilly and that they draw on influences from Dwight Yoakam to the Ramones, to Hank Williams, and Chuck Berry while keeping a traditional Honky Tonk band format (fiddle, upright bass, other stringed instruments). Lee's of course is the perfect place to see a band such as this.

No comments: